Thursday, May 17, 2007

I hate when I hear a song I like, listen to it really closely, think I have the lyrics figured out, only to realize I was completely wrong. Especially when the lyrics you think you heard were better than the actual lyrics. An example of this would be Snow Patrol's "Chasing Cars." Particularly, the lyrics...

"Those three words,
are said too much
they're not enough"

Of course "those three words" being "I love you." Not horrible lyrics but nothing Yeats would ever be confused with writing. Yes, people say "I love you" too much and because of that, it takes away from when someone actually says it and means it. It's very much a true statement in a lot of cases, but to me, not particularly powerful. Basically, the guy is saying he wishes there was a more powerful phrase to tell his girlfriend or wife or boyfriend or life partner how much he cares for them.

Now, the way I interpreted those lyrics when I first heard them (and for a while after until I looked them up) was this...

"Those three words,
are said too much
though not enough"

I only misheard one word, but that one word completely changes the meaning of the entire phrase. There those lyrics go from cutesy "I love you more than love" to the complexity that love really is. I still took it as too many people saying "I love you" too often and, in a way, losing its meaning, but the last line completely adds a twist. Those three words honestly do get thrown around way too much, but at the same time, people truly in love don't tell each other enough. "I love you" is a very powerful phrase. You are telling someone you feel one of, if not, the deepest emotion a human being can possibly feel in their lifetime towards them. And if you genuinely feel that way about another person, how could you ever possibly tell them enough? Screw the overly emotional "poets" of the world who have devalued such a beautiful phrase into more of a relationship milestone than an actual feeling. Their over-sensitizing (or desensitizing?) shouldn't
dissuade you from declaring such a euphoric feeling of endearment, like one feels when the simple thought of another person brings a smile to your face. Such is true love, not "5th grade I want to hold your hand" or "its been a month and I want to get in your pants" love.

So proclaim "those three words." Yes, by too many people they're said too much, but to the right one, not enough....not ever enough.